Friday, November 17, 2017

Monterey Bay Half Marathon

This race has been on my bucket list for a while now, mainly because of the medal. Since I ran a half the week before, I made sure to rest my legs. We bummed around Big Sur and it's beautiful!

Since this was a vacay race, I told myself to just run an easy pace and not kill myself. Plus I wasn't so sure about the race course. I figured it would be mostly flat.


I wasn't sure why I was in corral C. There were quite a few corrals, and I was just surprised to be up front. Turns out though I was in the perfect corral. My first mile was an 8:12 and my second mile was an 8:15. Holy smokes! I was feeling good and I didn't waste energy trying to pass people. I knew I needed to slow it down a bit, and told myself to stay under a 9:00 min pace. Mile 4 had a pretty good uphill portion, and that was tough, but I managed to run through it. The course wasn't hilly, but it wasn't flat. It was my most favorite type of course. Rolling hills that aren't too bad, but there's a chance to catch your breath on some of the downhills. I was doing really well keeping it in the 8s.

Mile 1: 8:12
Mile 2: 8:15
Mile 3: 8:43
Mile 4: 8:50
Mile 5: 8:42
Mile 6: 8:44
Mile 7: 8:36
Mile 8: 8:42
Mile 9: 8:50
Mile 10: 8:42
Mile 11: 8:59
Mile 12: 8:38
Mile 13: 9:09 (grrrr)

I figured if I kept it in the 8s I would PR. I realized at the last mile that I could come in at 1:55, which was much better than I expected. I was feeling super tired, but I tried to push it. My official time was 1:55:05. I felt like death in the end, but I can't believe I ran a half marathon at an 8:47 pace!! I never thought it was possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment