Sunday, April 27, 2014

Uncorked 100k Relay

I signed up for this relay about two weeks ago. I've done two relays before, but they only involved one leg. This one had three legs.

The race started at Augusta, which is such a beautiful area. (I can't wait to go back to a winery and sip on some wine!)

Augusta, MO
Our team started at 7:40 am, and I ran my first leg at 9:30 am. I felt good!! My legs felt quick, but I was a bit worried about my pace. I wanted to start slow, but I looked down at my watch and I was at a 9:40 min/mi. I told myself to slow down. When I looked at my watch a mile or so later, I was down to a 9:20 pace, and then I got to a 9:04 pace. I knew I was wrecking my body for later, but I was just going to let my body do what it wanted to do. I ended up passing two teams (both females) - - I think there were about 30 teams participating. I finished the first leg (4.5 miles) in 41:41, a pace of 9:17.

I started my second leg at 12:43 pm. I was super nervous because this was my longest leg. My legs felt heavy for the first 2 miles, but then I found myself in a good rhythm. Three teams passed me up (all dude runners). I was starting to get sick of running flats. Working the same muscles started to kill my thighs. I walked for a short segment, and then I could feel the pain coming. Ugg. I finished 7.08 miles in 1:10:02 (9:53 pace).

I knew the last leg was going to be legs were feeling like bricks and walking even hurt. It was the last leg for the team, and I started at 4 pm. This is what hitting the wall looks like:

Last leg, 6 miles
Pretty horrible, right? I tried to do the walk/run thing, but all I wanted to do was walk. It was still on the Katy, so it was flat...BUT the last 1/2 mile was a strong uphill. I was like, seriously!!! I wanted to scream.

Hill running...
But at the top of the hill, I saw my teammates and that made me happy. We all ran to the finish, and I don't know the exact finish time, but we finished in roughly 9 hours and 30 minutes. I ran the last leg, 6.09 miles (I started my watch late, so more like 6.20 miles) in 1:09:25 (plus some time, guessing a minute or so) - - with a pace of 11:24. WHICH IS NOT BAD FOR FEELING LIKE TOTAL SHIT. Four dudes passed me... (and the last one that passed was walking a bit too, which made me feel better about myself).

Finish Line!
The day went by super fast and the girls on my team were such a great support and super nice! I got lucky to be placed on such a nice team. We placed 8/20.

Team finish - The Last Minute Ladies
As you can see, I'm still showing off my winter white! 

I'm not sure if I'll do another relay... and if I do, I'll definitely need to train for it. I kind of thought that since I had three legs and they'd be three or so hours apart, I'd be okay. SO NOT THE CASE. 

I'm in mega pain as I write this... fyi.

No comments:

Post a Comment