Thursday, October 31, 2013

Rock -n- Roll Volunteer

Like I said in a previous post, $150 is just way too much to run a half marathon. Since I didn't want to pay the money to run, I still wanted to enjoy the event. I signed up to be a volunteer and it was SO MUCH FUN. I had no idea where I'd be volunteering until like 2 seconds before. The captain person told us we'd be handing out mylars. To be honest, I had no idea what a mylar even was.

The finish line is such a happy place. And it was crazy busy. So many runners. It's really cool to witness the waves of runners, tons of people finishing the half marathon. And then there is a lull, and then marathoners start coming in.

I can't even tell you how many runners I wrapped with a mylar, but I told each and every one 'congrats!' I know what an amazing feeling it is to finish a race. It doesn't matter if it was #1 or #10. That feeling never gets old. This is why I love running.

I chatted with a marathoner for a second and I asked him if he needed help with something. I mentioned I was craving chocolate milk, as he was drinking his Gatorade. I tell you, chocolate milk is the BEST post-race drink. After we said our goodbyes, he came back and surprised me with a chocolate milk. Some people are so nice!!

I've been a bit bummed since I'm not training for anything... But today I received an email stating that there is a spot open for the Skippo 20k!! I had joined the wait list since I forgot to register on time. I know it's going to be torture, but it's great to have a race to look forward to.

Anyways, a bit sad that the Cardinals didn't win the World Series, but I was able to go to game 5 and it was such a fun experience!!

Sara and I at Game 5 of World Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment